Ginger garlic paste


1 1/2 cups garlic cloves peeled, washed and dried
1/4 cup ginger sliced
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup oil

Grind ginger and garlic in a blender without water, use olive oil or vegetable oil until it becomes a paste.
The amounts of garlic and ginger can be adjusted I use 3:1.
The golden colour is due to using olive oil, if you use vegetable oil it would be a lighter colour.

Keep this is for no more than a week stored in the fridge in a tightly closed box or jar.

Updated
I have kept for more than 6 months before. Thank you to one of the readers who pointed out the health risk in keeping it for a long time. Use this right away or within a week.
Check out this article to read about the benefits of garlic

All rights reserved on photographs and written content Torviewtoronto © 2010 unless mentioned. Please Ask First

17 comments:

  1. dear, looks great, but please let me know the quantity of garlic ginger, is it 1:1?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant live without this gg paste..i do the same way too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/4 cup ginger grated and sliced
    1 1/2 cups garlic cloves
    it is about 1:3 ratio can adjust the amount. Add about 1/4 cup oil first then if you need add more, I added about 1/2 cup. I didn't put the amount on the recipe as you can adjust the amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that it does not matter at all if the ginger garlic paste turns into green. The green color is due to the reactions between ginger and garlic and not at all harmful to health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this - it has so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great paste - I can imagine so many different uses for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great thing. I tried to make just garlic paste and it became green :( so I threw it out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks divine! What is your favorite way to use this in a dish?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your version of making ginger garlic paste!! Need this mixture for a lot of recipes. I usually blend mine with lemon juice and freeze in an ice tray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe doesn't usually become green beause the oil is like a presevative and it lasts for a long time
    Good to know that if does turn a little green it doesn't matter as Mona has mentioned I wanted to be in the safe side:)
    I am sure as we have so many uses for it and if it is kept in a tight jar in the fridge and a clean spoon is used it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything l have ever read says not to store garlic with oil for any length of time due to botulism, even in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary germs aside, this sounds delicious!
    So what's your favorite use for GG paste?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds great! I'm always buying this stuff at the store and I have no idea why when it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting :)